Part of the fun of dungeon crawling is collecting loot after encountering a monster! Finding magical items is especially fun because there is an element of surprise in their discovery. Dungeon Masters can also have fun placing magical items in the vault and adding them as a story. The Dungeon Master's Guide to D&D provides a definition of magical items: "Types of magical items include armor, potions, scrolls, rings, rods, staves, wands, weapons, and wonder items. Magical items also have rarity: common, uncommon, rare, very rare, and legendary. In this article, through research and gameplay, I will focus on the best common and rare magic items that players can find in the lower tiers. Read on and enjoy!
10. Holding bag
Who would have thought a bag would be on this list? Bag of Holding is no ordinary bag. This wonderful and rare magical item is more of a buyer's dream! The D&D Dungeon Master's Guide states that "this bag has an interior space much larger than its exterior dimensions, approximately 2 feet in diameter at the mouth and 4 feet deep." It weighs only 15 pounds, so the storage bag is easy to transport. Read on to find out why this magical item is amazing!
Why a farm bag is great
- The best thing about this magical item is that it can hold up to 500 pounds and still only weigh 15 pounds!
- The bag is only 2 feet in diameter and 4 feet deep, making it small yet sturdy.
- A living being or person can be in a bag for at least a minute before it begins to suffocate, so the bag can technically be a bag too!
- A farm bag is worth around 2500 gp.
Holding bag details:
- If you need to find an item in a bag, it takes a turn.
- Be careful not to overfill the bag, because if it is damaged in any way, the bag will disappear and all the contents will be scattered on the Astral Plane, which is annoying, especially if you don't have access to the Astral Plane!
- The bag must be on the right side; if he turns around, everything will collapse.
9. Boots of the elf race
Elven items, especially magical ones, are usually decorative and useful. Who wouldn't want slippers that will warm your feet, have magical properties and be attractive to wear? Read on to find out why these rare and gorgeous shoes are made for more than just walking!
Why Boots of Elvenkind is great
- It's a great magic item for the clumsiest and loudest party member, and can make the rogue's stealth even more effective! Despite the terrain, when your character tries on shoes, he moves in complete silence.
- As a bonus, the wearer of Elf Boots will have an advantage on Agility checks when moving silently.
Elvenkind boots details:
- The materials used to create Elvenkind Boots are interesting: cork made from Duskwood bark, linen woven from the bark of Shadowtop trees, and ash from burnt mistletoe leaves.
- It takes approximately 2 business weeks to create Elvenkind Boots; only elves or half-elves can craft these boots.
- The boots are worth around 2500 gp if the user wants or needs to sell them.
8. Cloak of the Elf Race
Along with the Elvenkind Boots comes the Elvenkind Cloak! This gorgeous green and gold cape isn't just a pretty sight; wearing hooded clothing will bring magical powers! Read more to discover the benefits of using this wonderful magical item!
Why Cloak of Elvenkind is great
- Wearing a hooded cloak will make the character stealthy, as anyone who tries to see you has difficulties on Wisdom Perception checks.
- Whoever wears the cape will also have an advantage on Dexterity checks.
- The cape weighs only one pound, so it is not cumbersome to wear or use. Smaller characters should be able to use it.
Elf Coat Details:
- Picking up or removing the hood will require the character to perform one action per turn.
- Attunement by the spellcaster (probably an elf or half-elf) is required to activate the cape.
- You most likely won't find the Elvenkind Cape in a thrift store, as it's worth 5000 gp!
7. Gem's Elemental
The elemental gem is not only pretty, but it can also summon the elements! According to Roll20.net, "This gem contains a bit of elemental energy. When you use an action to break a gem, an elemental is summoned as if you had cast Conjure Elemental and the gem's magic is lost. The type of gem determines the elemental summoned by the spell. There are four types of elementals that can be summoned: air, earth, fire, and water. Read on to learn more about Elemental Gems!
Why the elemental gem is great
- Elemental gems, considered a wonder item, are rare and great for summoning an elemental. This is great to use if you don't have many party members and/or are outnumbered.
- The summoned elemental will help you and your party members.
Elemental Gem Details:
- The act of breaking a jewel requires concentration.
- The color and type of stone determines the type of elemental: blue sapphire summons an air elemental, yellow diamond summons an earth elemental, red corundum summons a fire elemental, and emerald summons a fire elemental.
- Once a gem is broken and an elemental is summoned, it cannot be used again.
- Each gem is worth 2250 gp.
6. A great power figurine
This is not your typical Precious Moments character! According to rollD20.net, "The Great Power Statuette is a beast statuette small enough to fit in your pocket. If you use an action to say a command word and throw a figure to the ground within 60 feet of you, the figure becomes a living creature." A character you'd likely find in lower-tier dungeon campaigns would be a silver raven. Read on to find out more about this character!
Why The Great Power Figurine is great
- The spellcaster can cast the Animal Messenger spell on the raven.
- The raven will follow the orders of the team member holding the statuette.
- The figure is small (pocketable), making it easy to carry with you during the campaign.
Great power details
- The crow figurine will come to life for 12 hours.
- The Wonder Figurine of Power can be used again after two days.
- This magical item will cost someone 3800 gp!
5. Healing potion
The healing potion is not an exciting magical item to find. Rather, it's a staple of any party, as characters will get hurt and take damage. Basically, when a character drinks a bottle of potion, they will regain lost hitpoints. There are different types of healing potions, from common to legendary. The rarer the healing potion, the more health points will be restored. Read on to find out more why healing potions are so amazing to find!
Why healing potions are great
- It's always a good idea to have a healing potion with you, especially if you don't have clerics in your party.
- Characters recover 2d4+2 points after drinking a potion.
- The healing potion weighs only half a pound, so it wouldn't be too cumbersome to carry around.
Healing Potion Details:
- The healing potion costs 50 gp or more, depending on strength.
- Drinking a Healing Potion normally requires an action; it is at the discretion of the DM.
4. Staff of the Viper
If you have ophidiophobia, this magical item may not be the best for you! However, the Viper Staff is a powerful weapon to find! All the holders have to do is say the command word (as determined by the DM) and the staff turns into a snake. Read on to find out more about the Viper staff!
Why the viper's cane is great
- The cane becomes a different character in a way, as the adder can deal both piercing and poison damage!
- If the staff is not destroyed, it will regenerate hit points while inanimate.
- The cane weighs between 2 and 7 pounds, so it would not be cumbersome to transport it.
Viper staff details:
- A priest, druid, or sorcerer will need to tune in to this magical item.
- If the snake dies during the animation, the staff will be destroyed immediately.
- The action lasts about a minute or when the wielder uses the command word to disable the viper again.
- If you want to sell this magical item, Viper Staff is worth 2000 gp.
3. Lucky stone
If you ever see a stone in the shape of a cat's head with yellow eyes, congratulations! You have discovered the lucky stone! Also known as the lucky stone, the lucky stone, made of agate, is a rare wonder item. Not only have you found an enchanting stone, but you have also come across a valuable magical item that can help the heroes in battle. Read on to learn more about the lucky stone and why it's one of the best you can own!
Why the lucky stone is great
- According to roll20.net, "When you have this polished agate with you, you get a +1 bonus on skill checks and saving throws."
- While +1 doesn't seem like much, it can be the difference between saving and failing, especially on low-level adventures.
Lucky Stone Details:
- Lucky stone requires tuning before use.
- This magical item is quite valuable, worth 10,000-25,000 gp!
- For the best magical effects, make sure the stone is polished before placing it on your person.
2. Wand of Magic Missiles
Wands are great because they are light, valuable, and useful in combat. The Magic Missile wand is no exception as the caster of this rare wand can use up to 7 charges per day. Read on to find out why the Rocket Magic Wand is great to find!
Why Wand of Magic Missiles is great
- Magic Missile Wand works like a level 1 Magic Missile Spell, firing three darts with each charge to deal 1d4+ Strength damage to the target.
- The wand is a renewable resource as it repeats a charge of 1d6+1 each morning.
- This item is worth having if you don't have a spellcaster in your party.
Magic Bullet Wand Details:
- Be careful not to spare a few charges on this wand, because on the last charge the player must roll a d20. If he rolls a 1, the wand will disappear.
- This magical item is valuable, worth 6000 gp.
1. Wand of Secrets
We finally have the Mystery Wand! This wand is used to detect secret doors and traps. If there is a secret door or trap, the wand will pulse and point at it. The Wand of Mystery is a good idea to have on hand as lower level players don't have a lot of hitpoints and a single trap is enough to deal significant damage to a group. Read on to find out why the Wand of Secrets is one of the best magic items to own!
Why Mystery Wand is great
- The wand is great to use if you don't have a rogue in your party to spot traps or secret doors.
- The Wand of Secrets is lightweight, easy to store, and requires no fine-tuning by the spellcaster!
Mystery Wand Details:
- If you're interested in selling rather than using, The Mystery Wand is worth a look.
- 1.000 after.
- According to the Dungeon Master's Guide to D&D, "the wand recovers 1d3 spent charges per day at dawn." So the wand is reusable!
- Requires user action.
You may also be interested in:
- 32 most interesting facts about dungeons and dragons!
- Top 10 DnD streams
- (Video) Five Low Level Magic Items for Creative Players in Dungeons & Dragons 5e
Top 10 ideas for a DnD campaign
- The 5 most useful DnD languages
How many magic items should a level 5 character have? ›
At level 5, all characters can pick up a free +1weapon or shield or Rod of the Pact Keeper, or Wand of the War Mage, but they are capped at carrying 3 magic items of >common rarity, not counting consumables, and that +1 sword or whatever counts against those 3. And no legendary items.How many magic items should a level 20 have? ›
The official rules expect a character at level 20 to have 6 permanent magic items. That's a perfectly manageable number, and you should be very cautious to go beyond that.What is the best low level character in DnD? ›
- 3 Bards Become More Versatile As They Level Up.
- 4 Fighters Can Hold The Line From The Start. ...
- 5 Druids Are Beasts In The Late Game. ...
- 6 Clerics Play An Important Role In The Early Game. ...
- 7 High-Level Paladins Are Extremely Strong. ...
- 8 Barbarian Can Dominate At Lower Levels. ...
- 5 The Sniper.
- 4 Polearm Barbarian.
- 3 Fey War Priest.
- 2 Goodberry Life Cleric.
- 1 Bear-barian.
|Level||PC Wealth upon reaching level (Rounded Amount)|
A 20th level wizard is likely to have around 188 hitpoints, so that is likely to kill the wizard. That also assumes the wizard is not a Divination (portent) or Chron (similar ability), nor do they have a well worded contingent Otilukes and their AC - even with Shield - is not too high.What level are very rare magic items D&D? ›
3b - Magic Items.
|Rarity||Character Level||Item Value|
|Very rare||7+||2000-5000 gp|
|Level||Proficiency Bonus||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
At the start of level 5 they should have roughly 700 gold each, and at the end 3000 gold each - so they gain a total of about 2300 gold. The amount of gold you gain isn't the same each level, as you level up the amount of wealth you accumulate will increase.Can a 7th level sorcerer create a 5th level spell slot? ›
Per the Font of Magic feature, sorcerer can use Flexible Casting to create 5th-level spell slots at level 7, even though they are not typically available until level 9.
What is the weakest God in D&D? ›
Demigods. They are the weakest of the deities, and are able to grant spells and perform a few deeds that are beyond mortal limits. Lesser deities. These entities can perform more powerful deeds than demigods can, and have keener senses where their portfolios are concerned.What is the weakest DnD class? ›
Monks are generally considered the 'weakest' class in DnD 5e, with low AC until the late game (when monsters have huge attack bonuses anyway), low damage dice (levels 1-4 being the apex in terms of damage compared to other martial classes) and being far too resource intensive.What is the hardest class in D&D? ›
- Monk. ...
- Sorcerer. ...
- Cleric. ...
- Warlock. ...
- Rogue. ...
- Ranger. ...
- Paladin. The easiest class for beginners on this list is the paladin, however, it is harder to play than the fighter and the barbarian. ...
If knowledge is power, then Oghma would be the most powerful god in the Dungeons & Dragons pantheon. Despite his relative lack of any divine power, especially when it comes to gods that command elements or rule over regions of the cosmos, Oghma is a favorite of storytellers, inventors, and scholars as well as mages.What are the big six magic items? ›
With that in mind, the Big Six are a collection of six specific types of magic items. They are as follows: Magic weapon, magic armor (and shield), amulet of natural armor, cloak of resistance, ring of protection, and an ability score boosting item such as a headband or a belt.How much is a very rare magic item? ›
Rarity also determines the base price for a magic item. It's value. Common items are worth 100 gp, uncommon ones are worth 500 gp, rare items are worth 5,000 gp, very rare items are worth 50,000 gp, and legendary items are worth a whopping 500,000 gp.How to find magic in everyday? ›
- Express Gratitude. Gratitude is a form of magic. ...
- Practice Forgiveness. If you're holding grudges you're not hurting anyone but yourself. ...
- Perform Acts of Kindness. ...
- Take Care of Your Body. ...
- Follow Your Dreams. ...
- Just Be You. ...
- Create a Ritual. ...
- Look for Everyday Magic.
Every ATK stat and buff gained by a character will scale based on their Base ATK. So it's very valuable for maximizing damage. Leveling a weapon to 90 is always a good damage buff – especially for DPS characters.At what level should characters get rare items? ›
MAGIC ITEM RARITY.
|Common||1st or higher||50-100 gp|
|Uncommon||1st or higher||101-500 gp|
|Rare||5th or higher||501-5,000 gp|
But, in my experience CR is roughly 70% of level, so for a lvl 20 character around CR 14. Going the otherway, level is about 130% of CR, so a CR10 foe is the rough equivalent of a 13th level character.
Which is the strongest wizard? ›
The most Powerful Wizards in the Harry Potter are discussed below: Albus Dumbledore. Lord Voldemort. Gellert Grindelwald.Who is the strongest evil wizard? ›
1 Lord Voldemort
Considered the most powerful dark wizard of all time, Voldemort was obsessed with his own half-blood ancestry and his search for power and immortality.
At level 9, his cloak color changes to lilac, with a golden lining. He also gains golden bands around his arms. At level 10, the Wizard's cloak changes to violet blue. The gold linings on his cloak as well as his hand-bands are more perfectly straight.How rare is a +1 weapon? ›
On the other hand, the DMG considers a +1 weapon to be merely uncommon, and refers to +1 longswords almost generically: "for example, if a hobgoblin tribe has a +1 longsword" (p133), "a generic magic item, such as a +1 longsword" (p141) and also says that a 3rd level character could craft a +1 weapon (pp128-9).Is a +1 weapon common or uncommon? ›
A +1 weapon is uncommon. A +2 weapon is rare. And a +3 weapon is very rare. It doesn't matter if it's a dagger or a greatsword, the rarity stays the same.What rarity is a +1 weapon? ›
The prevailing wisdom on this board seems to be that +1 weapons are kingly, +2 are legendary, and +3 are godly in rarity.What is the most powerful thing in D&D? ›
The Tarrasque is the most powerful creature in the current edition of Dungeons & Dragons and it represents the ultimate challenge for many players.What is the most powerful charm in D&D? ›
- Charm Monster. ...
- Sunburst. ...
- Meteor Swarm. ...
- Psychic Scream. ...
- Wish. ...
- Disintegrate. ...
- Power Word Kill. Here we have the classic insta-kill spell. ...
- Arcane Eye. Arcane Eye is a 4th level Divination spell usable by Clerics and Wizards.
Ring of Evasion, Ring of Spell Turning, or RIng of Invisibility are all great items for Dragons.What are god tier weapons in D&D? ›
Godly Weapons, also known as Divine Weapons, God-Tier Weapons or Divine Artifacts are ancient artifacts infused with divine energy. They are the some of the most powerful objects within the Dominance Universe, and due to their divine nature, are rendered indestructible by conventional means.
What is the deadliest weapon in D&D? ›
If the DM decides the creature is too big to be decapitated, a Vorpal Sword still deals an astounding extra 6d8 slashing damage on a critical hit. No other weapon in D&D 5e can kill almost any foe on one attack out of 20.What are the god killing weapons in D&D? ›
The God-Killers are five weapons said to have been forged to fight the Faceless Ones. They are a sword, a dagger, a spear, a bow, and the Sceptre of the Ancients.Who is the highest God in D&D? ›
If knowledge is power, then Oghma would be the most powerful god in the Dungeons & Dragons pantheon. Despite his relative lack of any divine power, especially when it comes to gods that command elements or rule over regions of the cosmos, Oghma is a favorite of storytellers, inventors, and scholars as well as mages.What is the most expensive D&D spell? ›
Of course, when things go really awry, you have D&D's most expensive spell. True Resurrection can bring anyone back to life (as long as they haven't been dead for more than 200 years), or how little of their body is left.
Like the druid, the cleric is a full spellcaster, giving them access to powerful ninth-level spells at level 20. This allows them to easily fully heal their party and even bring the dead back to life. The most powerful aspect of the cleric is the Divine Intervention ability.What is the easiest magic class in D&D? ›
The warlock is arguably the easiest spellcasting class to play, as they get very few spells at early levels. A warlock makes a pact with an otherworldly being in exchange for their mystical abilities, and choosing which pact to take is the biggest choice a new D&D player will need to make at first level.What are reasonable magic item prices D&D? ›
It's value. Common items are worth 100 gp, uncommon ones are worth 500 gp, rare items are worth 5,000 gp, very rare items are worth 50,000 gp, and legendary items are worth a whopping 500,000 gp.